Hear the history of the businesses that occupied the space where the gallery stands today, including details about the seedy underbelly of San Diego’s “New Town”. Speakers include local historians from Save Our Heritage Organization (SOHO) and the gallery building owners.
The “Sterling Hardware Building” was built in 1924 and designated as a historic building in the early 1980s when the Gaslamp Quarter was created.
• A vaudeville theater, named “The Standard Theater”, specializing in variety shows and trapeze artists
• C. Holle Company, maker of specialized glass, which was destroyed by a fire
• The Sterling Company, seller of second-hand goods and tools
• Ramona Wolf & Helen Hunt Jackson’s “Ramona” novel
• Sparks Gallery’s restoration of the historic building
Complimentary refreshments and snacks will be served.